The Midwestern State of U.S., South Dakota is known for its tourism and agriculture. On average, 14 million visitors travel to and within the state in a year. Because of the lower cost of living and cheap health, housing, utilities, and transportation facility, it is counted among the best states for overall well-being and happiness. People often want to live in a comfortable place like this and lead a normal life.
For living a peaceful and comfortable life, one needs a vehicle to get the essentials, travel distances, and spend family time on holidays with a super smooth long drive. For all these ease and convenience, the South Dakota Department of Public Safety is present in the State. The DPS provides Driver’s License, Renewing License, Safety, and Enforcements, Emergency Services, Inspections, Records, Vehicle Registration, etc. Let us know some basic things about applying for Licenses, documents required, applying for Vehicle Registration.
What are the online services provided by the Department of Public Safety, South Dakota?
The online services provided by the South Dakota DPS are:
- Review and renew your vehicle registration /decals and License Plates.
- Purchase New Plates
- Applying for Driver’s License
- Applying for Renewal of Driver’s License
- Updating Address
- Making appointment to visit a South Dakota Driver Exam Station
- Opt in for Email renewal and general notifications
- Find out the estimated renewal cost of your vehicle
- Report the sale of a vehicle
- Print a seller’s permit
- Safety & Enforcement: Highway Patrol; Highway Safety; Homeland Security; SD LETS
- Emergency Services
- Records: Accident Records; Driving Records.
How to apply for Driver’s License and its Renewal in South Dakota?
- Visit the website https://dps.sd.gov/driver-licensing
- Schedule an Appointment for Renewal or New License
- Duly fill the complete application without errors for Driver’s License https://dps.sd.gov/application/files/7316/0078/6897/SD_Driver_License_-_ID_Card_Application.pdf
- Visit a South Dakota Exam Station.
- Give the exam at the scheduled time and date.
- Take the Vision Test and Skill Test.
- Pay the fees.
What are the eligibility and restrictions for applying for a New License?
For Instruction Permit:
- Must be eligible to upgrade (Driven 90 days with Driver’s Ed or 180 days without Driver’s Ed on the permit)
- Upgraded to a Restricted Permit before 7th January, 2021.
For Restricted Permit:
- Anyone under 18 must hold a restricted permit for 6 months before upgrading to a full operator License.
- Cannot have any passengers outside their immediate family or household for 6 months from the initial permit issuance date.
- Anyone who has Restricted Permit for more than 6 months may only have one passenger outside their immediate family or household.
For Operator License:
- Must be 16 years of age
- Have met all the requirements of Instruction Permit
- Have driven on a Restricted Permit for a minimum of 6 months.
What are the Documents required for applying for Driver’s License in South Dakota?
There are some documents which are required for applying for Driver’s License in South Dakota. They are listed below:
- Proof of lawful status
- U.S. Birth Certificate
- A valid non-expired Passport
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Permanent Resident Card
- Proof of Name Change (If the name is changed)
- Social Security Card
- 2 documents for proving Residential address
- Tax document
- Vehicle Registration Number
- Application Form
- Fee $33 + Endorsement Knowledge Test Fee $15
What are the requirements and documents needed for Vehicle Registration in South Dakota DPS?
You need to fill out some forms for Vehicle Registration in South Dakota DPS like General Affidavit which is required to make a statement of fact regarding your registration https://americasmailbox.com/source/E0858V2-AffidavitForVehicleBoatRegistration.pdf;
Title Request which is to be filled and send to your lienholder for the registration process to start https://americasmailbox.com/source/Title_Request_only.pdf;
Vehicle Renewal General Authorization which is required by the Treasurer’s Office for the registration https://americasmailbox.com/assets/forms/Vehicle%20Renewal%20General%20Authorization%20Form.pdf
This process takes 2-3 weeks (if all documents and fees are immediately provided). There are a few additional documents required for registering your vehicle. These are:
- State Titles
- A copy of State Driver License
- Social Security Number
- Motor Vehicle and Boat Title
- Registration Application
For more information on Vehicle Registration process and the fee charged you can visit the website and login for applying for the Vehicle Registration on the website https://dor.sd.gov/individuals/motor-vehicle/all-vehicles-title-fees-registration/
What is the Registration Fee for Vehicle Registration in South Dakota?
|Motor Vehicle Excise Tax
|4% of Purchase Price
|Late Title Application Penalty
|$!.00 for every week past 45 day grace period; Maximum fine $50
|Duplicate Title Fee
Frequently Asked Questions:
You can get a South Dakota License Plate from the Brule County Treasurer’s office. You need to provide Social Security Number or Driver’s License in order to purchase the License Plate.
Title Transfer Fee in South Dakota is $10.
Yes, there is Sales Tax collected on Vehicle in South Dakota. The tax charged is 4% State Sales Tax on the purchase of all vehicles in the State.
Yes, absolutely. You can apply for Driver’s License renewal or duplicate/replacement of the license without leaving your home. And pay online for the same.
DMV Office Locator